Monday, July 09, 2007

For The General

List 5 bands(/artists) that you like and why:

1.) Van Morrison. This is my "stranded on a deserted island" choice. The dude has a long history of turning out really fantastic work and his lyrics can be remarkably revealing of his unguarded soul. It's clear that he's been searching for a very long time, and maybe he's warming to the idea that the searching is as significant as knowing the answers.


2.) Miles Davis. Kind of Blue. If this doesn't touch some part of your soul, you may not have one. Plus, Modal Jazz? Brilliant. My buddy Eddie name his son after Miles. My long lost buddy Don once said that his life would have been complete if only Miles Davis had told him to "fuck off, white boy".


3.) Yes. No, not the pop iteration of later years. Yes, as in Close to the Edge- back in their progressive rock halcyon days. I've always liked progressive rock, which has limited exposure. Most folks have heard Rush, or Yes, and maybe ELP, but no one has heard of Triumvirat. Pity.


4.) Public Enemy. Seriously. I held such high hopes for rap in those early days, and PE is still the high-water-mark for the form. I still think that the potential is there, and I guess we'll all have to wait for a retro period. In the meantime, this is goddamned hysterical:

5.) Frank Zappa. Wonderful lyrics and interesting arrangements. I wish he was still with us. Sadly, he is remembered for Valley Girl.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger none said...

Zappa is one of my favorites, I discovered him just as he passed.

Miles Davis is good alone time music.

3:38 AM  
Blogger General Catz said...

Hard just to choose 5, eh?

5:43 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

didn't Zappa have a thing about his albums being played with the tone and bass controls at neutral? He wanted his emphasis to come through, not the listeners.

I came to yes middle ways through their career, just after the period you mention. how do you feel about pre-dark side of the moon pink floyd?

7:59 AM  
Blogger Stucco said...

Bah! Blogger ate another of my replies!

Hi Bob, There is no doubt a throng of devoted Syd Barrett-era fans, and I've tried in earnest to figure out the appeal, but it's so far escaped me. I like the Roger Waters work, but thought he peaked early, and the fracas with Gilmore was ugly. LOVE Dark Side though. Maybe that's more a credit to Alan Parsons.

And I'm fixing to leave a comment on your blog- you call that a bruise? Ha!

3:32 PM  
Blogger General Catz said...

http://www.themoore.com/artists/?artist=602

7:45 PM  
Blogger Lexcen said...

Stucco, you are a music connoisseur.

1:05 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I, actually, HAVE heard of Triumvirat, though I can't claim to have any of their music.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I only have one question. Where are the freaking BEATLES???

12:06 PM  
Blogger Stucco said...

Sorry Jilly, not enough meat on those bones. Plus, the best things from the Beatles were actually George's.

12:30 PM  
Blogger nic said...

I'm all with you on Van Morrison. He is brilliant. I pitty those who think his best work is Brown Eyed Girl. I have to go with Into The Mystic. It's probably the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard.

Miles Davis is the man.

Thanks for sharing stucco. I like your perspective and dig your blog. :)

10:34 AM  
Blogger Vulgar Wizard said...

My favorite is "Into the Mystic"...

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home