Monday, June 25, 2007

Mixed Emotions

So, I really like Opera. I don't know that there is any explaining it- it is simply the state of affairs. On Reddit a while back I saw a link to this video of a fellow named Paul Potts (no- not Pol Pot) and he's not half bad (but oh lord does he underscore the stereotype about the Brits and their teeth). He's singing Nessun Dorma from Turandot, and like Pavaotti, (who has one volume - full) who's gotten plently of mileage out of this number, Potts treats it with surprising finesse. Here's my beef- WHY THE HELL DO THEY EDIT THESE DAMNED SONGS SO BADLY? This performance is about 35% of the piece. It's a beautiful composition with lovely movement and deserves better. If he sucked, they could stop him- I've seen them do that on American Idol before. And if they'd dispense with the bullshit fluff pre- and post-performance, we could get the whole enchilada. I'm only left to assume that television sucks everywhere.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger General Catz said...

Most likely to stop bootlegging. They want you to eventually buy the performance on dvd.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon said...

This guy made me cry to high heaven. He was like watching th end of a really scmaltzy movie that actually got to me.

Edit? Each contestant was given a time restriction, and I am sure he chopped the song to fit before he even sang...

At least, without knowing the song, that's what I am going with.

There was one other fella on that show who sang a song he wrote called "I'm good" that slayed me too... Bawling like a baby...

10:22 PM  
Blogger slaghammer said...

I’m not a huge opera fan, but that was some mighty moving stuff. On the other hand, I’m a complete idiot for symphony. I’m always surprised when people are surprised to hear that. I just assume everybody gets all swampy over Beethoven, but not so.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon said...

I just watched anoth Paul Pots episode, and I am crying again...

Your You-Tube under bar has some more of Paul and a six year old girl that just amazes...

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stucco, I heard a great response to this on NPR's Performance Today. I'm not a huge fan of opera by any stretch, but Fred Child (the host) and the emails they have been receiving brought up some interesting points, the main one being that Mr. Pots may lack a lot of the refined technical skill that the 'real' opera singers have but he certainly makes up for it with feeling and emotion.

As for me? I'd much rather hear music with human soul poured into it over technically perfect stuff any day, even if it IS opera.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Lexcen said...

You have been tagged.

3:17 AM  
Blogger amusing said...

He's Welsh. It's in their blood.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home