Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Butchering The Language Part XXII



Goddamned idiots everywhere are fucking rubbing of on me and it's pissing me off. I've confessed before how I can't seem to say the word "probably" (comes out "probly" or "prolly" *shudder*) and this is a character flaw, but there is another grammatical train wreck that's EVERYWHERE.

Remedial lesson-

"There is" applies to single items. Examples- There is a dog. There is a city in France called Paris.

"There are" applies to multiple items. Examples- There are some cars. There are crazy people in Colorado Springs.

"There's" is a contraction of "There is" and "There're" would be a contraction of "There are" (but it's awkward)

That being said, would everyone kindly stop saying shit like "There's people in the kitchen" or other mismatched bullshit?

You wouldn't do this to the word "Where" (such as "Where's your mom?" or "Where're the tacos?") would you?

President Dumbass routinely kills the language, and this is one of his weapons. Here is a recent example: "Obviously, there's concerns about the decisions I have made regarding Iraq, and I understand that." No you boob- There ARE.

Jesus fucking Christ this is ubiquitous and I caught myself screwing up the other day. Grrr.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger That Guy said...

yeah... don't move to youston.

2:04 PM  
Blogger none said...

Have you noticed that people can no longer spell "loser"?

I read two magazine articles that called people "loosers", It was also on the MSN homepage yesterday.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon said...

Hammer.

I love it when people call me a dumbass looser.

They's funny...

12:18 PM  
Blogger none said...

Scott:
I get that all the time. It helps with my self esteem ;)

11:35 PM  
Blogger General Catz said...

Bingo. i've noticed with alarming frequency that even talking faces in documentaries are saying "There's" when the rest of the sentence tumbles out as multiples.

Another thing that bothers me is the word "moms", as in "your moms is nice". It is like nails on a chalkboard. Unless, of course, these people have more than one mother. But, then again, it would be your moms ARE nice.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Vulgar Wizard said...

Hey, how's yer mom 'n them?

1:17 PM  
Blogger Stucco said...

Are you both sure it's not "House your Mom's, and then..."?

This doesn't do diddley in the way of grammatic improvement, but the message might be clearer.

And Catz- you locked out your blog? What gives?

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home