Monday, June 23, 2008

Vacation Monday

Mrs. Chili wants pictures? I deliver! Oh- and in honor of Cheesy, I took a picture of a salad somewhere (see Flickr link at the bottom). Now, to make Andy cry some more- We got a bit of a late start today and grabbed some lunch, but missed this guy:

Damn, why did it have to be a Monday? Cruel fate, how you tease me.

Then we headed south into California with high expectations after having talked to Scott From Oregon, and the further from the Oregon border we got, the more things sucked. This was right near the line. Kamph Memorial Park is nice.

It was foggy when we got there and that burned off by about noon or so, and then the sunburns started. This path lead to a little waterfall and some other riparian type features that were nice.


Then we went to see the Redwoods and that was nice to spend more time and walk some trails. It's an awesome forest. Gordo- no foolin', pictures of this place can't seem to do it justice. Like one of those Grand Canyon kind of things- you have to go to experience it.


There was this tree hugging hippie chick there too.


And Banana Slugs.


Then we went further south to Crescent City, California. What a friggin dump. Seriously. Run down, overgrown, dead, dirty and in places abandoned. There is this lighthouse attraction there and I don't know what percentage of tourists brave the slum to see it. The beach, by the way, had swastika's spray painted on the larger driftwood logs. This picture is generous to the scenery. Stay classy, Crescent City.


After getting our daily dose of hate symbolism, we said Fuck California, and allowed as how Scott from Oregon is either remembering things better than they are, or is on the crack. We got back into Oregon, and like a strange curse on the landscape ended. Grass grew again, the trees were not anemic and frail looking, people cleaned up after themselves- it's a stark contrast. Plus, I saw the fattest cat I ever saw. I had to zoom way in, but you can still ge the idea-


Other than three text messages and one phone call from work, that's about it. We came back to the hotel and had DQ dipped cones. Calories don't count on vacation, right? A dip in the pool and we're done for the day. Tomorrow we'll probably stay local and hit low tide about 10AM. As before, the pics (and others) are available in other sizes here at Flickr

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Eeeew! Slugs! I suppose, since I wasn't particularly specific about what KINDS of pictures I wanted, I don't get to gripe, huh?

We don't have trees that big on this side of the country. Of course, we only got our trees BACK within the last 100 years or so, as King George took most of 'em for his navy. I wonder if our lack of slugs - at least, of that variety - is related to our lack of grandfather trees....

5:21 AM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

LMAO @ the fat kitty! Slugs are a delicacy here,,, beer batter slugs... I will forward the recipe... But it involves making a beer batter and consuming another 6 pack or so while you muster the nerve to dip the slugs. Then you just say F*** it and drink some more and toss the slugs.

I miss the redwoods. You have inspired a road trip for me! Sorry Cali was such a disappointment. There are pretty parts but time and assholes are cruel. I will go look at the salad just because you took it for me lol. Stay safe and please enjoy the rest of your trip. There is a field back behind Harris beach campground where Salmon berries grow wild. If you are back that way before you leave you may want to go see if they are ripe! Today I will post the freakin few pics I took ... I am ashamed with myself :o(

6:47 AM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

Don't forget.. as you start back up north check out the black sand beaches near Port Orford.... some at Yachets also... Smelt beach

6:49 AM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon said...

Well, you have to break through the Crescent City bubble first...

I should have told you about the Crescent City Bubble...

The drive south of there is better than the entire southern Oregon coastal drive, guaranteed...

If you get up to Port Orford, make a mental note as to what a Port Orford Cedar is.

It is one of my favorite trees on the planet and really only grows well in that area...

11:59 AM  
Blogger General Catz said...

I love your vacation snaps and descriptions. Keep 'em coming.

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how Oregon affects people that way? Weird. I am loving the pics. In particular, the tree hugger hippie chick! Give her a smooch! Love ya, Miss T

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home