Thursday, June 05, 2008

Proper Homophobia Continues


There is a trend anymore of accusing someone who disagrees with something as being phobic about that thing. Such is the case with those who would say something contrary to homosexuality, being accused of homophobia where fear may not be the root cause. I think it's more often than not simple bigotry. I don't understand so many things people do, and this is but one mystery. At a Mariners game recently, two women were kissing, and an usher was dispatched by some nearby offended person to put a stop to it. Is this really where we are as a culture? How can this be anyone's priority?

I'm not especially tuned into the gay community (and why is it a community? Is there a "community" of perverts that I'm missing?), but so what? People are pretty much the same, and if some other guy wants to put his filthy cock in other places than where I want to put MY filthy cock- fine. None of my business. If it makes him happy- more power to him. I'm more concerned about rape, or violent crime (problems where the gay folks don't proportionately participate). I'm less interested in Lesbians than most men, as I can't escape the awareness that they are a group of women who want nothing to do with my filthy cock, and can't get all worked up sexually while this disappointment looms. Regardless of their preemptive disinterest in my genitals, I include them in these views and mean to use the word "gay" to include either gender. Any two (or more, I guess) people of any combination of race/height/weight/hair color/gender/appendages/blood type/whatever want to consensually do things to one another- more power to them. Even in public. Who are these other people who are so afraid of the human anatomy that they make issues of these things? Is that all the further we have come as a culture? You could site bare assed in the bleachers for all I care, provided you sanitize the seat when you are leaving.

I was not going to mention any of this in a post, as I try to kid myself that smart people aren't the ones who are so prejudiced about homosexuality, but then I read comments at tompaine.com following and article concluding that President Buchanan was gay. I happen to believe that he was, but that's not the point. The comments were presumably from educated and hopefully enlightened people, and they were surprisingly resistant or hostile to the evidence and idea, as if it was a posthumous slight of the man. As though it lessened him somehow. Forget that he was a pro-slavery shithead, it was the gay business that taints his legacy. (aside: "Heh heh- I said "taint")

The more I look around, the more I don't feel so much like a liberal as I do like a radical. Oh, and my ego-centric superiority complex? It's growing like a weed in Pripyat

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

my response here was going to be that the usher should have refused to do anything about it, then it occurred to me that there might be a policy of no PDA for anyone, much less gay people. Would the usher have stopped a man & woman from kissing?

of course, this doesn't address whether the offended person was really a homophobe.

given that homophobic people elected bush to the white house twice, it shouldn't surprise you (and me) that there is still an amazing amount of homophobia in our society.

it isn't surprising, really, that supposedly smart people are homophobic, after all homophobia is an emotional response to some deep seated inadequacy or overly emphasized teaching from those who are. intelligence is frequently trumped by emotions. (or horror movies wouldn't be so popular. after all, all of that violence is abhorrent.)

such is the human condition.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I'm with you; I think that the title "homophobia" softens the outright bigotry of the thing. Someone might be afraid of spiders, but prejudice is plain prejudice. Don't try to cloak hate in some lame-ass "fear."

12:44 PM  
Blogger Gordo said...

So sad. Fear and bigotry still abounds.

10:34 AM  
Blogger General Catz said...

Where's your photo of the Marquess of Queensbury?

As far as i'm concerned: love is a very difficult thing to find and if someone does find it, more power to them, regardless of which sex they choose. So there.

5:35 AM  
Blogger none said...

Just because I find the thought of two males putting things in their poopy holes revolting doesn't mean I wouldn't hire one or vote for one as president.

I wonder if that still makes me homophobic.

It seems that the current media machine wants us to all embrace cornholing or be labled a bigot.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home