Thursday, August 28, 2008

Some Things Don't Translate

So, when it comes to television and movies we have a big industry here, but strangely when something really good happens elsewhere and we try to import it and "make it our own" it usually bombs. I'm not a fan of The Office, and I'm told that it might be the exception to the rule (though most of the feedback says the UK version is better).

The example I ran across this week really disappoints me. I LOVE Japanese television. I don't understand a word of the language, but they are crazy in a way that resonates. I also love MXC, the Most Extreme Elimination Challenge which airs on Spike TV. It's basically highlights from a crazy old Japanese game show called Takeshi's Castle, with smart ass commentary- sort of like Mystery Science Theater 3000 (also a fave).

What I saw was a show on ABC called 'Wipeout', and it's a domestic crazy game show that in now way captures the spirit of the shows upon which it's based. It got one thing right though:

Meet Jill Wagner. She's niiiiiiiice.

She has been hawking Mercury cars for a while now, and while I can't say that I'm interested in the cars- I will watch the ads. As much as I like to watch her, I can bear to watch Wipeout. It's just so bad, and I honestly don't know how you screw up that formula.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

IZZAT who she is? I couldn't place her. I too admit that I had high hopes and got a letdown. It does lack that certain surrealness that Japanese people seem to imbue so much of their stuff with.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you catch "I Survived a Japanese Game Show"? Hilarious. Hopefully it makes another season. Although, I am gettins sick of the reality shows...-Miss T

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home