Monday, April 21, 2008

I Friggin' Hate Shoes, And You Should Too



I take off my shoes at work and walk around in my socks. People seem to put up with this. I only put my shoes on to go to lunch or the toilet (I mean, who knows what's on the floor in there?). I wear slippers at home that barely exist. I have never liked shoes. Ever. I used to walk around barefoot all the time, and had crazy callouses and life was good. Then I got a job and shit went downhill for my feet. My folks knew a Brit when I was still in my barefoot stage and he apparently had some hangup about it. I don't know if this is a widespread view over there, but his contention was that shoes are the mark of civilization. The more refined the shoe, the more refined the person/society. In the movie Sneakers, there was a bit where they assessed potential clients by the dollar value of the potential clients shoes. Women go ape shit over shoes. Schmoopie says I'm a lesbian (for among other reasons) because I'm such a picky shit about shoes and foot comfort. Irrelephant has some related fetish. I realize I'm WELL in the minority in this shoe deal, but they've got to go.

I read this (lengthy and at times dull) article at NY Magazine that suggests that science may well be on my side in this one. First time for everything, eh?

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I'm not overly crazy about shoes, either (weird for a woman, I know). We don't wear shoes in the house at all, and I rarely wear slippers. I'm content to be sock- or bare-footed most of the time.

I've been accused of being a lesbian because of my footwear choices, too. My favorites are Land's End all-weather mocs. I don't actually own a pair of heels.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Gordo said...

I wear sport sandals from about now until late October and my feet love it. Boy, do they freak out when I encase them in shoes again come fall. My biggest complaint about shoes is that unless you pay a frigging fortune for them, any comfort that you felt when you bought them will be gone very shortly.

12:26 PM  
Blogger none said...

I'm not big on shoes either but after several broken toes and stepping on various pieces of barbie shit I've learned to keep them on :)

I own a 7 year old pair of deck shoes and a 27 year old pair of steel toed boots. People must think I'm a real high roller ;)

12:28 PM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon said...

Six months of flip flops and winters are for slip on wooly boots that I buy new every year to throw away the smell of the old ones...

I am with you on the shoe thing. Way over rated.

In construction, however, there are diminishing returns to wearing socks only at work...

2:44 PM  
Blogger meno said...

In our family, it's my husband who is the shoe freak. So he's a lesbian too.

I too hate shoes. I mourn the day every fall when i have to give up my zorries for real shoes and socks.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Cheesy said...

I have to wear shoes at work.. but when I get home shoes come off first, and then the bra/// tookies free and the girls breath a sigh of relief. But I do tend to encase the toes in slippers as I break my toes ALL the time...Klutz!

8:53 PM  
Blogger General Catz said...

I wear the same two pairs of shoes every day (not at the same time). I hate shoe shopping (and clothes shopping, for that matter). Guess i'm not a normal chick. The fact i only wear men's shoes should confirm it.

Like you, i never ever wear shoes at home. They're the first thing to come off when i get in the door. I do wear slippers or socks when my feet are cold, that's it.

The mark of a civilised person is one who does what is comfortable for them and doesn't follow trends. That's my theory.

Love the article!

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beats me, all the hooplah. If I'm not at work I'm barefoot, simple as that. Plus, when you wear a 13W it's damned near impossible to find anything comfortable. The true sign I'm comfortable in your home is when I take my shoes off at the first possible moment.

Now a luverly nekkid girlie in a nice pair of high heels worn not to walk on but just to be sexy in? Whew. I say again, "Whew."

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I like the pseudo-Magritte image up there, the barefooted dress shoes. Well played. *g*

4:00 PM  
Blogger Vulgar Wizard said...

And you know what they say about big shoes . . . wait, what?

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Hawaii did one of those 22 mile walkathons and the flip flops gave me blisters, so I did most of it barefoot. Now THOSE were great, broken in feet!

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home