Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Fuck General Motors

Why? Twelve- TWELVE FUCKING YEARS AGO, they made this:

An ELECTRIC vehicle that was well regarded.

Then in 1999, they did this:


GM has been brain dead for years. It's time to pull the plug and bury this money sucking cadaver. Let's all agree too that none of us will hire ANYONE from GM management. Let these fuckers die off. Ford and Chrysler too. My next car won't have a gas tank, and at this pace I'll be pushing up daisies before I get a new car- and I don't care WHERE it comes from.

What we have needed for years is a battery standard that is modular and scalable, like "AA" batteries on steroids, and to develop electric cars that use multiples of these standard batteries. Then, we can convert gas stations to battery stations- you drive in and swap your dead electric car batteries for charged ones (like propane tanks) and keep rolling. And let's have these stations use solar panels to trickle charge batteries, and get serious about this shit.

[Aside] I labelled this post "No-good dumbo nothing(s)", which is a quote I like from the late Douglas Adams. The gist of the quote is that there is an omnipotent being that has lived from one end of time to the other repeatedly and has grown bored. It decided that the thing to do with eternity is to visit every living creature, and insult them. It would pop up at random times, confirm the identity of the subject, and then insult them before disappearing. That's certainly what I would do. But the very best thing I discovered is that if you type "no good dumbo nothing" into google, one of my blog posts is the top return. It cheered me up.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Gordo said...

You should hear the griping of a co-worker when I mention the EV-1. His brother works for GM Canada and has sold him the corporate line about the EV: not enough range, too expensive to produce, blah, blah, blah.

John's one of these people that buy from the big 3 to "keep the jobs here". He refuses to consider the fact that he's artificially propping up a dying business model.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon said...

But where will I get my Suburban parts?

1:21 PM  
Blogger Jeannie said...

Waaaaay back in the 70's, my dad was invested in the Urbacar (which I just searched and found!!)http://www.rqriley.com/u-car.html

I was going to say nothing came of it but I suppose it's still there.
I wonder why I never ever hear anything of it now....

1:40 PM  
Blogger Stucco said...

Gordo, dare you ask why they can't build a car that anyone wants?

Scott, from Mexico like always

Jeannie, damn that thing is ugly.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Gordo said...

That's where it all falls apart, Stucco. He admits that they're building the wrong cars and too many models, but he's got this weird attachment to having them continue to exist. Let 'em sink, I say.

6:33 AM  
Blogger nic said...

YOU KNOW, I"M GOING TO YELL ABOUT THIS! No, I'm not. It's an exorbatent use of capital letters. F em. Anyway, my complaint has been FOR YEARS (whoops, there I go again) that I don't care what country it comes from: Germany, Japan, or Italy, it always ALWAYS seems like the foreign cars are more refined and more thoughtful in design that American ones. I think the big three should sink, too, but the fallout of that would be astronomical. I think GM is the worst of the three, I don't care about ford, and I think Chrysler makes some HOT cars (damn good lookin: Challenger, Charger, and pickups, but again, the quality is not there. My 2000 Jetta is just more thoughtfully designed. The short can leave his rear reading light on after I turn off the car and it turns itself off after a half hour. You can pull the key out of the ignition and turn the radio back on, and it will stay on for a half hour to an hour. Why don't american companies bother with that? You leave a light on in an american car, your battery is dead in the morning. It's garbage.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home