Sunday, April 22, 2007

Humor Test

Schmoopie is german, and strictly speaking, as I have a little bit it my scotch-irish mutt-mix, so are my children. Here's the problem- the germans are not renowned for their sense of humor. At all. Ever. Whereas, I laugh early and laugh often. On purpose. At things. Funny things.

I LOVE- no really- LOVE B. Kliban cartoons (except for all that "Cat" bullshit). The man was a genius, and you Far Side heretics would have nothing without him. It's a damned shame that he died in 1990, but his work hasn't lost a step with time. I was looking at some of his work laughing myself beet red, when Schmoopie decided to investigate. She saw this:



And did not laugh at all. Didn't even smile. Nuttin. I was dumbfounded. How the hell could you NOT laugh at that? Who can't identify with this kind of predicament? I've had several jobs that I didn't like or even understand, and I stuck with them for longer than I can explain. Further testing seemed warranted. I tried something more slapstick:



Nope. I think the smile was patronising. Okay- time to bring out the big guns:



Not a sausage. I was crying with laughter over this one, just having been exposed to it from the testing process, and I was looked upon as an utter mystery by my loving bride. It's like a language barrier sometimes. It reminds me of the story behid this Chas Addams gem:



That was published in a New Yorker many years ago, and the staff of the New Yorker at the time were amazed when they started receiving mail from german subscribers who were attempting to explain how events may have unfolded that begat that scene depicted. Unbelievable. Germans trying to solve a joke.

Welcome to my world...

17 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

Stucco
I never knew the guy existed but Ive been laughing my chops off at this stuff!! Im off to find more! Thanks! We all cant help what happens to us in the genepool.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Jeannie said...

I feel for you. I live in a largely German town. My neighbor is German. Germany is the only country where Hitler could have succeeded because everyone else would have laughed their asses off at him.

These are some good comics. I still like far side.

4:26 PM  
Blogger none said...

I like the one with the guys making faces.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jeannie's got a point. Any other country would have thought he was Charlie Chaplin.

I LOVE Cliban. 'Mommy, Mommy! Daddy LOST!' hung on my wall for years when I was a kid.

And Addams. Addams rules. I AM Morticia.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And Schmoopie does TOO have a great sense of humor! :-P

10:04 PM  
Blogger Scott from Oregon said...

I've mentioned my friend Rolf on occasion. His last name was Krueger and his father was a Russian German Red Cross transplant and his mother was an East German Red Cross transplant.

Hawk Eye Pierce (Alan Alda) used to make Rolf's dad's blood curdle.

He would laugh hysterically though, at the worst jokes I ever heard....

11:48 PM  
Blogger General Catz said...

I smiled at most of em (ok, my mood isn't the best right now).

But as for saying Hitler could only come from germany cos any other country would laugh their asses off is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

I mean, c'mon, look at OUR president! I laugh constantly, even while i'm cringing. And he's not even as remotely funny as Chaplin. Yet, he was elected TWICE.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Would she find this funny?

http://www.websitewerx.com/333333.jpg

Mairzy did, and she's German too. :)

11:06 AM  
Blogger That Guy said...

I think it is a German thing, although my wife is mostly Italian, but it may be just a wife thing too. she too fails to laugh at anything I send/show her.

She never laughs at fark and thats mostly funny.

Oh, and I about fell on the floor laughing at Andy's link. I have saved it into my folder of funny shit to post some day.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Stucco said...

I've apparently been living a lie. Google "outed" me. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

1:01 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

The world now knows the truth about Stucco...

*gasp*

He's a cowboy.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

1:47 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

This could be a guy/girl thing. Slag frequently tries to explain jokes to me when I don't laugh at them. And I keep telling him, "Honey, I UNDERSTAND the joke. I just don't think it's funny."

4:48 PM  
Blogger Schmoopie said...

Yeah-What Jill said! :)

5:41 PM  
Blogger KelKel said...

I don't get them either Schmoop.

1:45 PM  
Blogger meno said...

All three of these guys, Kliban, Adams and Larson are aces in my book.

You ever read Matt Groening "Life Is Hell", "Love Is Hell" books? I should post a cartoon from one of them someday, now that i figured out how to scan stuff.

I have to disagree about Kliban's "cat stuff" Some of it is a riot.

Remember, Never eat anything bigger than your head!

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The head on a spring stopped me short. I'm STILL laughing about it.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home